Technical Director, Youth Radio/Youth Media International
Youth Radio/Youth Media International (YMI) is a youth-driven production company headquartered in state-of-the-art studios in downtown Oakland, CA. The organization is best known for its Peabody Award-winning stories for NPR and other public media outlets, all produced by youth. New ventures in the organization (with dedicated teams) include: 1) a Mobile Action Lab where young people partner with professional developers to create apps, 2) Turnstylenews.com, a syndication service producing multi-media content targeted to 18-34 year old audiences, and 3) a digital media workforce program to cultivate a competitive young workforce in a changing economy.
We're looking for someone to lead our technical team, as we expand the scope of our online and mobile ventures, while maintaining top broadcast standards for major broadcast outlets. We need a great team-builder with community connections, who can develop new workflows and new projects.
What We Need:
If you have experience leading a technology team in a multi-media production environment, you are our ideal candidate! The technical director oversees all technical operations of Youth Radio/Youth Media International:
• production studios (audio/video)
• equipment and personnel
• information technology and facility services (desktop support and network/storage solutions)
• web properties and mobile apps
• talent recruitment and partnerships
• BA in relevant field or equivalent experience
• At least 5 years digital media and broadcast technology experience in a leadership role
• Strong management and communication skills
• Experience recruiting tech talent and forging partnerships with technology companies (software and hardware vendors, media outlets etc)
• Track record of coordinating a department with lots of personalities and moving parts
• Track record creating new projects and new workflows
• Ability to lead a team that includes young people
What Youth Radio’s got:
• Great outlets with global visibility and audience
• World-class advisors
• Talented young people (age 14-24) and professional writers, producers, designers, editors, and engineers
• Gorgeous state-of-the-art building in the heart of downtown Oakland, steps from BART
• Track record as the nation’s premier producer of youth-generated public media
• Compensation commensurate with experience
Please send cover letter, resume, links to work samples, reference contact info to email@example.com
Oakland, CA 94612
No calls, please.
Youth Radio's mission is to promote young people's intellectual, creative and professional growth through training and access to media and to produce the highest quality original media for local and national outlets.
Through hands-on practice, working relationships with industry professionals, and production of award-winning programming, Youth Radio students learn the basics of broadcasting at our centrally located downtown Oakland location. In the process, they're exposed to a broad spectrum of media-related careers.
Youth Radio students also strengthen their foundation in basic "life-skills": verbal expression, writing, computer technology, critical thinking, conflict resolution, and more.
Youth Radio is committed to maintaining a diverse, multi-cultural working environment, women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.